Global Garden, Global Kitchen Crowdfunding to Grow Food and Community Pride
Published by: Robin Plaskoff Horton, Urban Gadens
Date: January 15th 2013
Tottenham, a multi-cultural community of north London, will soon experience a growth spurt when it becomes home to the Global Garden, Global Kitchen, a community food hub where produce will be grown, prepared and distributed to locals by bicycle.
Dexter Kelly, the initiative’s Project Manager and owner of the Holistic Kitchen Company and Successful Plate Ltd, said that the Selby Trust–a local community and social enterprise charity–plays an important leadership role in spearheading this community effort for a sustainable growing space.
Consistent with the Selby Trust motto “Many Cultures–One Community,” project plans include the transformation of the former school grounds of the Selby Centre into a community food garden with 40 raised beds, fruit trees, and a growing terrace as well as a kitchen for cooking classes. In the new culturally diverse space, local residents will learn to grow and cook a mix of produce that reflects Tottenham’s diversity.
More information about the project can be found here: https://spacehive.com/selbytrustglobalgarden.
- Crowd-Funding Helps Selby Global Garden Project at Selby Centre in London
- Crowd-Funding Helps Garden Project
- Selby Trust's Global Garden on BBC1
- Selby Trust's Global Garden to Lead Crowdfunding Revolution
- Charitys Web bid to crowdfund innovative organic global kitchen and feed Tottenhams global community